This weekend, our family was reminded once again of how fragile life can be. Losing people we love is never easy, especially when it comes as a surprise, and our hearts break in an instant. It is definitely a reminder for us to be grateful for every day that we have on this earth, and to constantly love and be kind to the ones closest to us.
We say "Indeed, to Allah we belong and to Allah we shall return" - إِنَّا لِلَّهِ وَإِنَّا إِلَيْهِ رَاجِعُونَ
This serves as a reminder that every creation will be returned to its Creator at the end of the day. We come into this world empty-handed, and we will leave this world empty-handed. Everything we have, all the blessings we enjoy, our wealth, our homes, our families, our time, our health, everything belongs to our Lord - and to Him we shall return.
Every day a soul returns home, and every one of us will inevitably have to deal with grief and loss several times in our lives. To help you during your tough times, I'm sharing with you some tips on how to practice self-care that might be able to help you cope and heal.
1. First and foremost, a few things that I would constantly remind myself in times of distress (and there has been many) is to remember that God will never burden a soul beyond that it can bear, pain is only temporary, and time heals everything.
2. Talk to someone. I know it can be hard to talk and express yourself when you're going through a hard time, but sometimes getting feelings off your chest can be relieving. You should never feel like you can't share what you're feeling.
3. Connect with others and know that you are not alone. It's easy to isolate yourself in times of sadness, but know that you're not the only one grieving. Connect with others, and support each other during these tough times, you will feel stronger.
4. Take your time to process your emotions, and you shouldn't feel the need to rush into your daily routine. We all grieve in different ways, so take all the time you need.
5. Don't forget to eat, and rest. Not eating and resting will only make you feel worse. Take care of yourself first and get something to eat!
6. Meditation has gotten me through a lot and I have a feeling it can help you too. It's always so important to take a breather and be in the present. Take a few minutes to yourself and breathe mindfully to calm yourself, remember to not let your emotions get the best of you.
7. Some things are beyond our control, and maybe they are just meant to be. So be kind to yourself and remember not to beat yourself up over things that are out of your control.